Certified Rental Building Program
In June 2008, FRPO launched Canada's first Certified Rental Building program for rental housing in Ontario. This residential housing initiative is the first quality assurance program of its kind in North America. The goal of the program is to promote professionalism in the rental housing industry and to provide tenants with a quality assurance alternative to selecting their rental home.
Tenants and prospective tenants across Ontario can now have peace of mind and rent with confidence when selecting their home in a building that has met the rigorous requirements of the Certified Rental Building Program. This includes a requirement that each Property Manager and the respective building staff have successfully demonstrated compliance with the program's Standards of Practice. This includes the following:
- Strict Adherence to regular building cleaning schedules
- Effective communications with tenants when building repairs are necessary
- Response to tenant inquiries within two business days
- Human rights responsibilities practiced with tenants & employees
- Properly maintained elevators
- Adherence to provincial fire and building codes
- Well-maintained heating and cooling equipment
- Annual suite inspections
- Continuous education program for staff
- Tenant information stored in compliance with PIPEDA
- Interest on last month's rent paid to tenants
- Provision of emergency contact information to tenants
The Program provides its members with a consistent set of standards that represent good value in rental housing for consumers. Landlords who obtain the designation will have met a rigorous set of "best practices" covering a wide range of criteria specific to operating a residential rental facility. Once obtained, the buildings will be able to display the Certified Rental Building Logo, therefore making it easy for rental housing consumers to identify good buildings and good property managers.
Ultimately, the Program distinguishes member buildings from those of their competitors as having met the standards of practice. The program will also help members measure, evaluate, upgrade and improve their building operations and tenant services.
In 2009, Osgoode Properties became one of the first landlords to have its entire Ontario portfolio certified. Look for the CRB logo on our buildings!