In Ontario: Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)
In Québec: Act respecting the protection of personal information in the private sector
In Alberta: Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA)
What is personal information?
Information that identifies you, or from which you could be identified. When you become an Osgoode Properties client in any of our lines of business, you will be providing us with personal information relating to your lease, along with the delivery of services such as repairs and maintenance. You may also provide us with information regarding your financial and employment status to facilitate financing or approval of your application.
How do we collect your personal information?We collect your personal information directly from you; however, we may also collect your personal information from other sources, for example:
- Your login to our website
- Your request for e-mail communications
We rely on you to advise us of any changes in your personal information. If you believe your personal information is incorrect, please contact us and request a correction or an update.
ConsentIn most cases, we will ask you for your express consent, if we collect, use or disclose your personal information. We may ask for your consent in writing, but in some circumstances, we may accept your oral consent.
Use of your personal information
We use your personal information to provide you with advice and services and to administer our client database.
Disclosure of your personal information
We do not sell, rent, trade, transfer or disclose any of your personal information without your consent.
We will however disclose your personal information when we believe it is appropriate under the following circumstances:
- To provide a collection agency for the purpose of collecting any outstanding rent payment
- To respond to your requests
- To complete a business transaction and to provide appropriate levels of service to complete a transaction (i.e. suite rental, lease)
- To share with service providers (i.e. utilities, insurance companies, banking institutions and credit agencies, trades and contractors)
- To respond to legal or regulatory requirements (i.e. subpoena)
- To provide administrative services to Osgoode Properties (i.e. hardware and software services). We require all third party to provide privacy assurances. In this case your consent is implied.
Protection of your personal information
We understand and recognize the importance of protecting personal information and have taken the following steps:
- Paper information is either under supervision or secured in a locked or restricted area
- Electronic hardware is either under supervision or secured in a locked or restricted area. In addition, passwords are used on computers
- Paper information is transmitted through sealed, addressed envelopes or boxes by reputable companies
- Electronic personal information is transmitted to personal e-mail addresses, fax numbers and the like only, unless you direct us otherwise
- External consultants and agencies with access to personal information must provide us with appropriate privacy assurances
Retention and destruction of personal information
We are required to retain personal information to ensure that we can answer questions you might have about the services provided and for our own accountability to external regulatory bodies.
We destroy paper files containing personal information by shredding and electronic information by deletion. When the hardware is discarded, we ensure that the hard drive is physically destroyed.
Requests for access, complaints and questions
Our privacy officer will attempt to answer any questions or satisfy any requests for access that you may have. Please submit your request to our Privacy Officer in writing. Our Privacy Officer will acknowledge receipt of your request and ensure that it is investigated promptly and that you are provided with a formal decision and reasons in writing.
Our Privacy Officer can be reached at:
Osgoode Properties Ltd.
1284 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1Y 3A9
Phone: (613) 729-0656
Fax: (613) 729-7991